- J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Rare and valuable books, periodicals, documents, photographs, films, original materials, and finding aids.
- Joseph F. Smith Library, Brigham Young University Hawaii
University records from 1955 to present, manuscripts on history of church in Oceania and Hawaii, history of the Ko’olauloa moku of windward O’ÿhu and the history of Hawaii, 15,000 photographs/negatives and 47,000 slides, 600 Hawaiian artifacts, and rare books on history and cultures of Oceania.
- LDS Church History Library
Records chronicling the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from its beginning in 1830 to the present day. Contains manuscripts, books, Church records, photographs, oral histories, architectural drawings, pamphlets, newspapers, periodicals, maps, microforms, and audiovisual materials.
- Merrill Library, Utah State University
Over 1.5 million volumes, including 621,000 books, 300,000 government documents, 100,000 maps, 13,000 current serial subscriptions, and access to over 200 bibliographic, full-text, informational databases.
- Nauvoo Restoration Incorporated Lands and Records Office
Nauvoo Land records for early LDS families
- Stewart Library, Weber State University
Thousands of printed and electronic books, journals, online databases, videos and DVDs, maps, music CDs, and microfilms.
- Community of Christ Library, (Formerly known as the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)
20,000 books, 150 periodicals, 400 videos, 2,000 audiocassettes, pamphlets on religion as it relates to the Community of Christ mission with an added focus on the history of Christianity, theology, social science, and peace studies.
If you would like to learn how our genealogists can further your research, request a research quote.
Our professional researchers can do research projects of many sizes and for many budgets. We customize the amount of research provided according to your needs.
Below are some of the major records sources that can be used for LDS genealogy research:
- Church membership records began in 1877, with just a few from before 1847
- Early Church Information File containing over 1 million index cards of the names of Latter-day Saints and their neighbors in more than 1,200 sources from 1830 to about 1914
- Early Church Information File Resource Guide
- Pioneer Heritage Library includes over 10,000 photographs. It also has many biographical sketches, stories, diaries and autobiographies, histories, early LDS newspapers and periodicals, doctrinal works, emigration sources, and the Utah Historical Quarterly
- Studies in Mormon History Database includes citations to articles, books, theses, and Ph.D. dissertations dealing with the history of the church from 1830 to present. Cites over 2,000 LDS biographies and 800 published LDS diaries.
- Compiled Biographies. Thousands of brief biographies of Church members
- New.FamilySearch.org & Family Tree
- Family Group Records Collection from 1924 to 1969
- Internet International Genealogical Index
- Church census records, including Utah Bishops’ Report (1852-1853), church wide census of 1914, and from 1920 to 1960 (except 1945) the Church took a census every five years
- Deceased Members File. Since 1941 when a Church member has died, the ward clerk sends the person’s membership record to the Presiding Bishop’s Office, where it is placed in the Deceased Members File. The Membership Department keeps these records for 10 years then transfers the names to the Historical Department.
- Deaths between 1941 and 1977 are recorded in microfilms at the Family History Library
- LDS Immigration and Emigration records
- Pioneer histories from 1830 to present
- LDS military records from 1834
- LDS mission records from 1830
- Newspapers from 1850 to present
- Patriarchal blessings from 1833 to present
- Priesthood records
- Temple records from 1840
- LDS Reference Unit. Early Church Information File
- Index to the Journal History of the Church 1830-1973
- Historical Department. Missionary Record Index 1830-1971
- Jenson, Andrew. Index to the Deseret News Weekly 1850-1900
- Obituary Card Index File to the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News
- Patriarchal Blessing Index 1833-1963